"This AEG is really the bee's knees. Although the product states that it is an M16A1 the features of the lower receiver and three prong flash hider makes this rifle the XM16E1 variant. It is the only one like it on the market and it is perfect for use in my local interactive museum. Playability wise it is an excellent airsoft rifle as the build quality for the receiver is very very durable, and truth be told I almost mistook it for my actual real steel XM16E1 clone rifle. One slight issue is that the magwell is kind of tight but all my magazines that I have tested do drop free without issue. But other than that slight issue it shoots well and it shoots at about 340-360 FPS with .25 gram BBs and a 9.6v butterfly battery.
"For $219, it's a good deal. Couldn't pass it up for the newest version of the XM16E1, always wanted one and this one will definitely do. Glad I waited for this one instead of getting the other older models.
I gotta say, this is a fantastic gun. It feels amazing to handle and the metal is really good. It's not like the pot metal feeling on the Cyma platinum series mlok rifles (the new versions). If you own one, you know that metal on that rifle feels cheap and it almost feels like it would break if you slam it against something. Anyway, this M16 is by far the most sturdiest and quite well built. Combining EMG's quality with the new CYMA gearbox, it's going to last for some time.
Few things to note about the new Cyma gearbox:
- plastic trigger box
- MOSFET will burn out very quickly if you're using a very high voltage battery. I would not recommend full autoing on a 11.1v for a long time because that will burn out the MOSFET. It's a cheap MOSFET but that doesn't mean it's not good. The ROF is about 25-28 rps, give or take, on a 11.1v and 16-18rps on a 7.4v.
These are the two major problems but with a little upgrade along the line, you'll get a great performing gun.
- Well built, sturdy, handles great!
- Metal quality is absolute and fantastic.
- Awesome trades on the receiver.
- Correct flat barrel nut and flash hider, true to the RS. (Note: this version is the XM16E1, not M16A1)
- Amazing ROF.
- Magazine feeds all the way.
- True to the RS XM16E1: partial fence, 3-prong flash hider, rotating sling swivel.
- Large battery compartment in the fixed stock.
- Selector switch is tight and have enjoyable clicks to it.
- Somewhat "weak" MOSFET unit, upgradable.
- Plastic trigger box. Again, upgradable.
- Wrong name, not an issue though, might bother some people. This is the XM16E1 model, not M16A1.
- It's deans, unfortunately. I prefer my guns with the tamiya connector instead of deans. If you only have tamiya, you need to get a deans to tamiya wire. Again, not a major issue, just a gripe for me.
Overall, it's a great gun! I did considered giving this a 4 stars, but the cons are really just minor issues. This one is definitely a 5 stars in my book.