1 to 9 (of 9 reviews)
"I find this gun to be awesome! For the price I paid for it I am not too disappointed.
However I will say this I was only disappointed that I couldnt take the bipod off fully, I could manage to take the legs and carry handle off, but the part that holds the bipod in place you would need to use a dremel or special tool to take that off, but the legs come off by just unscrewing them and the carry handle comes off by unscrewing it and then kinda prying the handle off, use a flat head screwdriver to kinda bend it off ( it wont break the carry handle or damage the barrel, maybe scratch the barrel, but not break it ). Now to the pros and cons!
1. Shoots at 395 fps that's really nice with a .20 gram, I also shot it with a .30 and its still impressive.
2. Feeds magazines really smoothly with an 8.4V battery
3. Range is very good and shoots far and accurate up to 200 ft
4. Looks extremely classy and is slightly heavy, but hey its a support gun its suppose to be that way.
5. Very well done replica of the BAR for anyone who wants to own this as a WWII fan or a world war two actor, or because its awesome to just have.
6. Great gear box.
7. Hop up is easy to adjust for your range reasons its like an AK adjuster which is easy to use.
8. Fires pretty fast if you use a 8.4 V battery and keeps 180 round magazine longer.
9. Because it uses an 8.4V battery smoother its more realistic to how an actual BAR was because it is a slower shooting weapon in history.
10. I have wanted this gun for almost 13 years so its a dream come true, but its also a great buy for its price.
Cons, but could be fixed:
1. Magazine feeding issues if you use a 9.6V battery or anything above that. Magazine will not keep up with speeds past a 8.4V ( which thats not bad if you want a gun to shoot smoothly use a good 8.4 battery). Now it does shoot fast with a 9.6V battery, but yea like I said the magazine cant keep up with it and you could jam the gun for that reason.
2. I wish the Magazines would hold more rounds in it besides just 180, but hey use it smart and you will make a good support team mate. Make sure to buy more than just 1 magazine for this weapon you will want at least 3.
3. Bipod legs are kinda useless and cant keep in place and it wont fully come off unless you use special tools.
4. Barrel and gun can scratch easily so be careful.
Bipod and Carry handle are already attached to the gun inside the box, I know for me I wanted the BAR without the Bipod and Carry handle on it, but i took them off. However its like I said you wont be able to take off the bipod fully you can remove the legs and the carry handle, but you will still have the triangle like piece that still holds the legs attached and its swivels everywhere so use some black electric tape or something to keep it in place without having it move everywhere.
Feel for History: Comparing the fire rate of the BAR to the Thompson and why its good to get an 8.4V Battery.
Now I mentioned you want a 8.4V Battery for this gun because in history the actual BAR was a slower shooting firearm compared to something like a Thompson ( The Thompson/Tommy Airsoft gun Works wonderful with a 9.6 V battery ) Anyways in history the BAR fired about 650 rounds a minuet compared to a Thompson that shot 700+ rounds a minuet. So its more historically accurate if your BAR shoots a little slower. If you want more of a real feel for how the gun actually is get an 8.4 Battery for it that feeds your magazine smoothly. It may shoot slower, but your magazine will feed smoothly and constantly and fires pretty fast for an 8.4 battery, and its historically more accurate.
Over all I rate this gun a 4.5, but ill give it a 5.
Thanks Evike.com! "Amazing construction and this rifle is as realistic as it gets. As an irony, this probably look better than the real BAR made in the WWII era being new and flawless.
The rifle shoots great and has an easy to upgrade gearbox, we brought ours to shoot at 450 FPS where our field allows with just a spring. Lipo works on this rifle and over-all it is an impressive replica.
Thanks Evike.com! "My BAR arrived yesterday and WOW! WW2 choices have been few and far between for many many years or were so prohibitively expensive as to be completely out of reach for us mortals. When they did come up with a decently priced WW2 replica they just didn't function well enough to be skirmished with. The D Boys Kar 98, The Hudson Grease gun GBB, The Marushin M1 GBB or the JAC BAR. Finally an AEG BAR was made available and at under $500.00 was tempting enough to order. It is an offering (along with the AEG Garand) that we WW2 airsofters have anticipated for over a decade.
With all that anticipation I am NOT disappointed. The MATRIX BAR is a worthy reincarnation of the iconic BROWNING AUTOMATIC RIFLE. It is near exact clone of the $1,200.00 plus VFC BAR with the main difference being the simulated wood in place of the VFC real wood. The FAUX wood looks fine in my opinion. As mentioned earlier Id like to see an easier battery access and the only other comment is I personally would have preffered low caps or high caps to the hi caps it comes with.
The gun is not as heavy as the real BAR (which rivals the weight of a BUICK) but it is appropriately heavy for an airsoft weapon. The bipod is spot on and well done, The gun is solid and features authentic details. It shoots hard at 396 FPS with 20 gram and is everybit as badass as I hoped.
With the recently released ICS Grease gun, the assorted Russian PPSHs, the upcoming Garand AEG and the british Sten and new gas bolt actions (Mosin Nagant, Enfield, Springfield etc. WW2 airsoft is finally viable.
there are a lot of us WW2 fans who are thrilled to see this trend. If this BAR is any indication of whats coming keep it up!!!!!! "Further Review of the Matrix M1918 BAR.
This should be sold as a 'kit'. It will need to be carefully inspected before use. In the case with mine, I had to completely rebuild this replica from the barrel tip to the butt stock.
* Collars for the gas tube were not aligned properly, making the tube offset to the barrel, causing stress on the bolt mechanism.
* Front sights had to be removed and the pin holes had to be redrilled after the sights were properly aligned.
* Bad feed issues - Magazines have a bad gap at the rear of the mag well, need to add velcro to the mag well to help the mags seat properly. The hop feed tube extension is just a crude unthreaded short barrel extension and needs to be shimmed. If it's not, the BBs will constantly jam.
* The AK47-style hop unit will need to be taken down, cleaned and rebuilt with less oil and a good nub.
* NO MANUAL OR INSTRUCTIONS OR BATTERY/CHARGER
* Mine came pre-assembled and appears to have been used( I am investigating this)
* Video states it has a 'mosfet' installed. Mine did not.
* Gearbox needs to be rebuilt before use. Mine had NO GREASE and NO SHIMS.
All in all, this is still a great buy if you collect and use replicas and understand how to build/rebuild AEGs.
For a beginner or intermediate player, I would say pass on this model as it requires a full rebuild before it can be made functional enough for use in the field.
I have a long purchase history with Evike and usually get a good return on my many investments.
Had I known the condition of this replica before purchase, I would have asked for a price break as this model appears to have been used or was possibly a returned model from another purchase. The receiver and barrel finish was pretty beat up. "Ok, Just arrived at my place today.
No pros or cons but things to be aware of:
Heavy with lots of metal.
Good quality build and a nice-looking replica.
Mine showed up with the bolt cover not working. Easy to fix by pulling the body pin, sliding the lower off and reseating the cover from the inside.
Break this replica down and clean it before using! While I had the receivers apart, I noticed an excessive amount of metal shavings and debris inside the receiver parts and all over the gearbox and inside the inner barrel. Good cleaning and it was good to go.
Get lots of spare mags. This thing burns those 180's fast.
Pouches - Good luck. M14 pouches don't work. I bought a nice replica M1936 cartridge belt for mine that holds 12 mags. Nothing else worked.
Get a good sling! you'll want one.
The bipod is somewhat clunky and better off left in the box. "So I got my BAR this evening and upon opening the box I was struck by the size of the weapon, I knew it was going to be big but was not expecting this. The contents of the box are the massive gun ( it's heavy it weighs in at 18lbs), one hi-cap mag, a 9.6v Ni-Mh stick battery and subsequent cheapo wall charger ( if you use this set a timer on your phone to keep track), a bag of .20 gram bbs, the all steel bi-pod and flash hider, if you intend to use the bi-pod the orange tip that is required by law in the United States to identify it as a air rifle must be removed to allow the flash hider and bi-pod to be used, a small bag with a winder for the magazine and a allen wrench that fits all but the smallest of the bolts on the gun, there is also a long bendy barrel cleaner when you wish to clean your rifle. The only issue I had was (and I don't know it this is just my example or others) but the dust cover will not seat all the way forward and catches on a small lip in the hop up unit. Other than that small grip the gun is excellent.
One thing that smaller players should consider is if you are not that strong the gun is very heavy to lug around for a while. I will have to get used to the weight myself, and I'm fairly strong. "I just got this bad boy today. I must say it is one of the best guns I've bought. It's realistic except the wood part. I've shot it already and it shoots amazing.
Very heavy(I like that)
It's full metal
Have to buy extra mags.(whoo hoo have to anyways)
I'd for sure run a 9.6 G&P stick battery
So that means have to buy battery.
Other than that this gun is a win win deal that you can not lose on.
You can upgrade it more than you think. "Man I am pumped for this gun !
I would have liked to get the VFC model but that $1,200 is ridiculous if you ask me.
I cant thank matrix enough for making this model affordable.
But the fact that they thorw in an Xtra Hi-Cap mag, Bipod, and carrying handle is amazing.
I am wishing to go to World War 2 airsoft battles, and if I brang this beast with me and all the
attatchments would just be awesome.
Thanks Matrix !
-Doyle "Me and my buddies just Pre-ordered one each. Can't wait to get this!
Thanks for making this model affordable finally. The $1000 VFC model is simply too much for our bank.
I will post more reviews when I receive mine but from my past experience with Matrix AEG, I am confident this is going to be great! Displaying
1 to 9 (of 9 reviews)
Back to Product Page
Write a Review