"this is my favorite gun, i have had it for 3 years and I use it in every battle, I bought the original version without the Semper Fi symbol on it but that is the only difference, I did have to fix a couple parts but that's because its an M16 and requires taking care of. If you dont know how to care for a real m16 then i wouldnt suggest it because you have to clean it regularly but you can learn to use it and when you do its the best gun ever. once you get good with this gun you will always come back to it.
"I just recently bought this M16-A1. After 2 Weeks of using it I will give you an opinion.
In the Box....You get the Rifle, one 20 round good quality metal mag, a 20 round speed loader and Manual written in Asian. No instructions in English, but pictures and full glossary of parts (in Asian) You will have to assemble this rifle out of the box. (upper and lower together) There is now cleaning rod or site adjustment tool included.
To start off --- Five Stars. (Even with the 1-2 flaws. Because the flaws are not permanent)
Summary: This is an authentic replication of the M16-A1 Vietnam Rifle. The look and feel is amazing. So much so, some external parts are interchangeable with the real one. I also have a WE M4 OB GBB Trainer for yr now. And that is authenticity as well. Appears WE has paid attention to detail as much as possible.
I lean towards realism. The open bolt, Recoil, the puff of gas coming out of the barrel and bolt when you shoot, the jamming of the rifle if you don't clean it, the maintenance and limited mag rounds. All the good and bad of a real M16 a soldier faced in VN. And this M16 has that all. It's FUN to use. I like my AEG M16A1 when I don't want to have to worry about that stuff and just want to keep shooting in any weather.
Below is my opinion on the rife I received based on the specs provided. I'm sure not everyone out of the box is the same. I'm not doing a pro or con as someone pro can be another person con. And Vice Versa. My opinion will be next to the spec in parenthesis.
* Gas efficient with high velocity, accuracy and range - (I agree with this statement using both 20 and 30 round mags. Semi accuracy is dead on out of the box. Full Auto is a spray and pray. The FPS is nice. It's high enough to use .30-33g BBs if you want to target practice or .25g if you want distance accuracy)
* New GBB system with higher tolerance for cold magazines and weather - (No Opinion. Not Tested)
* Co2 powered magazine available. - (No Opinion, Not test. However, read mixed reviews on the CO2 mags)
* Realistic hard kick recoil blowback. - (Totally agree. It's got KICK. My WE M4 has a stronger recoil, but that may be do to it being a shorter rifle. Full Auto is where the kick is)
* Adjustable Front and Rear Sights - (Yes. However you need a tool for the front and it's not included)
* Retractable LE Telescopic Stock - (Fixed stock. Someone forgot to take this out of the copy/paste)
* Working Bolt-catch (Agree. Works fine and adds to realism when mag is empty)
* Full Metal Receiver, Barrel Assembly, and Stock Tube (Agree. Nice feel and solid. No WE or Colt markings at all on it this rifle. Only words on it are Safe, Semi and Auto)
* Nylon Handguard, M16 Full Stock, and Serrated AR Type Pistol Grip (Grip is nice, Stock Nice and has a storage door which is a pain in the butt to open and handguard looks ok)
* Integrated Front and rear sling swivel. ( Only front Swivels. Rear is fixed. You can use authentic military slings. Made for standard 2 point)
* Fully Automatic / Semi Automatic select fire. (This is what you will love about the rifle)
* 100% Factory direct part support. (No Opinion, Never used. WE site has stuff, but a bit vague on things)
* Authentic M16 VN type triangle hand guard. (Authentic looking outside and inside. Cheap plastic and not firm. Major Flaw. I'll explain later)
* Authentic M16 VN type one piece upper receiver with carrying handle. (Yes. Solid and very accurate. The windage wheel is hard to turn. Just like the real one was..... on purpose)
* Long barrel for superb accuracy and range. (Agree on both)
Triangular Handguard - I'm surprised with all the quality and attention to detail, the triangular handgard was overlooked and so cheap. Thin plastic and no reinforcement at the vent holes to make it less bendable. Will definitely break/crack. I replaced the Triangular hand guard with a Military Surplus one and fit flawlessly.
The dust cover works fine. However, the nipple piece that holds it closed became lose and will open or not stay closed some of the time. Happened on my WE M4 as well. Nothing that a little crazy glue didn't fix in 10 seconds.
I've only bought WE for OB GBB rifles. I have no experience with other GBB brands to benchmark my opinions.
Cleaning - We all like to play with our new toy once we get it. Do that for a mag or two and than do a basic breakdown, clean and lube this rifle out. (you can youtube how to do it) I believe this to be the approach with all GBB rifles. These rifles get test fired before boxed up. So there is dirt in there. Than you don't know how long it's been sitting around in that cardboard box on a shelf with the factory gunk and dust settling in. Both my M16 and M4 functioned flawlessly after a cleaning/Lube.
The above may sound like a lot. However, it really isn't. It's part of the fun of owning a realistic GBB. I am VERY HAPPY with this rifle. If I needed to, I would definitely buy it again. It's reasonably priced for a GBB, realistic and fun to use.
"I have seen some negative reviews on this gun, but I think those people have just had some bad luck, mine has been great. I had used a lot of aegs and I was tired of all the problems that could occur and the poor performance. I tried out a gas gun and it did NOT disappoint! The rifle has great distance with amazing accuracy! The mag holds 20 bbs, and I have gotten 20 kills in a row before.
Perhaps you have seen an enemy hiding in dense underbrush or tall grass and you tried to shoot them with your aeg, but the bbs just bounced off the vegetation. Not with this gun, the gas propels the bbs cutting straight through thick underbrush and keeping power at far distances, and the bbs don't start to drop after 50 feet.
The kick on this gun when it shoots is awesome! It feels great and actually moves the gun, but it is not intense enough to throw off accuracy! The sound it makes from the blow back is awesome! It may not be that practical to shoot it in full auto, but it definately turns some heads when you do! The gun also breaks down almost just like the real m16. For realism and performance, this gun can't be beat!
I run a Vietnam load out, and this gun is perfect for it! I put a lot of time and money into my authentic load out, so I needed a rifle that was just as cool, not any of those crappy Aegs. Also, the gas is held in each mag, as with all gas rifles, so it makes life a bit easier not having to worry about charging your battery, just pump some gas into the mag.
So I have been praising the gun, so now I have to list some cons. This gun needs a lot of maintanence, but no different than any other GBB rifle, you need to clean and lube it after every day of playing. This isn't exactly a con, since you should do this with all GBB, but it is kind of a pain. Every few months the barrel might get a little loose, and need to be tightened, but WE has included a special tool to tighten the barrel with.
The mags only hold 20 bbs, which is t exactly a con, because it is realistic, and great for mil-slim! The mags may not hold as much ammo as an aeg, but the rifle makes up for it with its performance! I have held my own against aegs slinging their torrents off bbs out there, meanwhile I make my shots count! Plus extra mags are $25, which is a good deal for a gas mag! Another con is that gas guns do not really work in the cold, of course aegs don't function at their best in the winter either, but at least aegs work. But so long as it is at least in the high 50s and your gun is well lubed you shouldn't have any problems. The gun feels a bit light, which isn't really a con, because it weighs about the same as the real m16 used in the 60s. Plus the gun has a solid feel to it, other than the hand guard, but the hand guard is supposed to feel that way.
You will want some extra mags if you are going to do matches with this gun. I have 5 mags total, plus my sidearm, and so long as I'm not wasteful, that is usually enough. This gun is compatible with the 30 round mags, but the short 20 round mags are much better. My whole team uses WE open bolt GBB, and they will all tell you that my short mags are better. The long ones seem to have more problems, and the baseplate on the bottoms of the mags come loose, but these short mags are very sturdy and they have a much better feel to them!
People say to only use green gas in your gun, but I have been using propane in my. So long as you keep it well lubed you should be fine, it hasn't given me any trouble.
Overall this is probably the best gun I have ever used. I give it 5 stars. If you are looking for a realistic, high performance Vietnam era weapon, then this is hat you want! I am never going back to aegs... Except for my m60, they don't make GBB LMGs, sadly.